Extra Clothes!!

In anticipation of a quick and easy move to another city, I've started following the minimalism subreddit.  It's easy to identify that I, like many other men and women, have more clothes than I need.  I love pinning outfits to the "My Style" board on Pinterest, and it's not helping.   

Project 333 provides an interesting challenge to build a 33-piece wardrobe.  I've started sorting out clothes today and am very excited about what the future holds, but that's not what this post is about.  Hm, this is 14 things, but I do work 5/7 of the week...



This post is about what to do with the extra clothes:  donate or sell?!
I know many people who sell their gently-used clothing to Crossroads or eBay users.  I know good friends who have found something perfect for them at Crossroads or on eBay.  It is mutually beneficial.  When _I_ think about selling my clothes, I think about the extra cash I can have so that I can buy a piece of clothing or jewelry.  I can feel myself getting a little greedy, so I decided to think about (in the words of A) what would make God smile.  Naturally, I decided to look in the Bible :) (What a handy Book!)  And then BAM.



Luke 3:11New International Version (NIV)

11 John answered, “Anyone who has two shirts should share with the one who has none, and anyone who has food should do the same.”

Luke 12:33-34 New International Version (NIV)

33 Sell your possessions and give to the poor. Provide purses for yourselves that will not wear out, a treasure in heaven that will never fail, where no thief comes near and no moth destroys. 34 For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

Okay, these passages didn't make it super clear whether to donate or sell, but I think that God doesn't want to restrict us in this way, and it made me ask some good questions about myself.  I would probably delay in going to sell my clothes and then run into another delay in thinking about where to give this money.  And hey, I have pretty good style, so maybe a girl who does not have money to buy new clothes around my size will find delight in wearing these clothes I'm donating.  It was my own selfishness that prevented me from giving away these clothes - not a need to keep these clothes!  I'm choosing to donate to the Salvation Army.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shine Into Our Night - Sovereign Grace Music

"Choir" Voice of Yamaha DGX-530

And If Our God is For Us